About the Film: Landscape with Duck
A wayward duck misses the migration south and struggles to catch up to his companions. The hand-drawn, black and white style is directly inspired by George Herriman’s “Krazy Kat” comic strip of the 1920’s and 30’s, as well as the Fleischer Bros. and Ub Iwerks cartoons of the same period. Many of the spare backgrounds were homages to Edward Hopper paintings. The short took several months for animator Patrick Neary to complete, with the character animation and backgrounds drawn with pencil on paper, then scanned into a Mac and finished in Toon Boom, After Effects (for compositing characters and backgrounds), and Final Cut for editing and sound work.
Film Festivals & Distribution
- Durango Independent Film Festival – Official Selection & Premiere
- Northwest Animation Film Festival – Official Selection
- Best of the NW Northwest Animation Festival – Official Selection
- Anchorage International Film Festival – Official Selection
- Portland Animation Now! Festival – Official Selection
- ashland independent film festival – Official Selection
- Offord Film Festival, Cambridgeshire, England – Official Selection
- Prescott Film Festival – Official Selection
- Bodega Bay International Short Film Festival – Official Selection
- Portland International Film Festival – Official Selection
- indieflix – featured film
- batteryPOP – featured video
- vimeo – 22.8K views and counting!